"The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me?" To become unstoppable in your career, a great place to start is to adopt these five guiding principals of the successful multimedia pro.
1. If you wake up everyday thinking you are going to be discovered, you're not. Budget time. Talent management is an investment not a part time job. Your career requires ALL of your attention.
2. Make an assumption that everything you see is intentional. Become a better student. Be perpetually curious and intentional. Learn one thing new everyday.
3. There is a fork in the road ahead! You better identify multiple paths and contingencies. Your employer could be bought, could acquire a competitor, or file bankruptcy. Are your skills transferable?
4. A career not a sprint, its more like a marathon that is 35 sprints, one after another. A career is made up of many many chapters. They all will require grit and perseverance. Look, at 32 years old you are less than 1/3 into your career. Embrace the 'suck' and move forward with intention.
5. A Career is full of 'Push and Pulls' The most important concept on this page might be the need to invest in your network, cultivating sponsors, and advocates. You need to manage both the push and the pull to your next role.
quote cred: ayn rand
photo cred: WAPA and TalentBlvd
About Mike McNamara:
Mike has held C-Suite, Executive and Senior Sales, Marketing, Business Development, and General Management roles with Equifax, Cox Enterprises, WW Grainger, and Federal-Mogul Corporation. Mike has led sales, service and operations organizations of over 1,500 associates and accountable for P&L responsibility in excess of $250M.
Dedicated to giving back, Mike formed The MBAR Group in 2009 with the sole intent of providing pro bono career and business consulting services to the underprivileged and underserved. Today as founder and CEO of TalentBlvd, he coaches a number of high profile business and media personalities as well as holding advisory board positions guiding a number of multimedia and small business startups.
Mike earned his MBA from the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University and holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Michigan State University. He is a past chapter President of the American Marketing Association. Mike and family split time between their adopted state of Missouri and family home in NW Michigan where their philanthropic causes include The Kingdom House – St Louis, BACN in Benzonia, MI., and Samaritan’s Purse, Boone NC.