Win The Game of Career Musical Chairs
Look to the chair on your left, now look to the chair on the right. Numbers say one of you will be gone in the next year. How can you make sure you win the game of career musical chairs?
1. If you wake up everyday thinking you are going to be discovered, you're not. Budget time to manage your career. Talent management is an investment not a part time job.
2. Make an assumption that everything you see is intentional. Become a better student. Be perpetually curious and intentional. Learn one thing new everyday.
3. There is a fork in the road ahead! You better identify multiple paths and contingencies. Your employer could be bought, acquire a competitor, or file bankruptcy. Are your skills timeless and transferable?
4. A career not a sprint, its more like a marathon that is 35 sprints, one after another. A career is made up of many many chapters. They all will require grit. Look, at 32 years old you are less than 1/3 into your career. Embrace the 'suck' and move forward with intention.
5. A Career is full of 'Push and Pulls' The most important concept on this page is the need to invest in your network, cultivating sponsors, and advocates. You need to manage both the push and the pull to your next role.
Check out this weekend's read: "If I Were A MMJ/Reporter Today I Would ......."